hkitalk.net 香港交通資訊網

找回密碼
 會員申請加入

(B0)香港巴士車務及車廂設備 (B1)香港巴士廣告消息/廣告車行踪 (B2)香港巴士討論 [熱門] [精華] (B3)巴士攝影作品貼圖區 [熱門] [精華] (B3i)即拍即貼 -手機相&翻拍Mon相 (B4)兩岸三地巴士討論 [精華] (B5)外地巴士討論 [精華]

Advertisement

(B6)旅遊巴士及過境巴士 [精華] (B7)巴士特別所見 (B11)巴士精華區 (B22)巴士迷吹水區   (V)私家車,商用車,政府及特種車輛 [精華]
(A6)相片及短片分享/攝影技術 (A10)香港地方討論 [精華] (A11)消費著數及飲食資訊 (A16)建築物機電裝置及設備 (A19)問路專區 (N)其他討論題目  
(F1)交通路線建議 (C2)航空 [精華] (C3)海上交通及船隻 [精華] (D1)公共交通有關商品 [精華]   (Y)hkitalk.net會員福利部 (Z)站務資源中心
(R1)香港鐵路 [精華] (R2)香港電車 [精華] (R3)港外鐵路 [精華]   (O1)omsi討論區 (O2)omsi下載區 (O3)omsi教學及求助區
(M1)小型巴士綜合討論 (M2)小型巴士多媒體分享區 (M3)香港小型巴士字軌表        

Advertisement

hkitalk.net 香港交通資訊網»論壇 (C) Transport 交通討論區 航空(C2) [Flight Report] London Heathrow - Toronto
開啟左側

[飛行報告] [Flight Report] London Heathrow - Toronto

[複製鏈接]
hkskyline 發表於 2023-2-21 01:13 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式

Advertisement

BA 93 London Heathrow - Toronto
11 January 2023

This transatlantic flight was a very cheap redemption at only 13,000 avios. For a flight of over 7 hours, it seemed too good to be true. However, Heathrow charges an arm and a leg in additional fees, so taxes were extraordinary, which somewhat offsets the low number of miles I needed. I paid over 200 pounds in extra charges for this 'free' ticket.

BA opens online check-in the day before departure. Right on the dot, I logged in to find the flight had very few open seats left to select. It had originally allocated 47C, an aisle, but there were no other windows available other than the extra-legroom row. I didn't have oneworld elite status to get this for free, so I hoped to check in now and log back in later to see if a window opens up. Interestingly, I was already at section 110 even 23 hours and 50+ minutes before departure, suggesting a lot of folks would be connecting from elsewhere.

What I didn't realize was BA's system won't let me change my seat or even cancel my check-in later.

Many European airports have been struggling to cope with increasing passenger volumes as travel gets back to normal. Headlines have been recurring since the summer. Add to securing a last minute window seat, I had to get to the airport early to sort all this out.

I saw a couple of hand sanitizer machines sprinkled around the terminal. Unlike their cousins at train stations and in a very limited number of buildings, these actually worked!

The landside area wasn't very crowded and I found my way to one of the machines to scan my passport and print the boarding pass. The next step would be to go to another machine and use my boarding pass to print the bag tag and drop it off into the belt. It was easy enough as I just needed to scan my boarding pass and the tag spat out of the machine. The tag's back-side had 2 red dots where I would affix and they would automatically stick together.

BA flies to Toronto twice a day with morning and afternoon departures.

With boarding pass on hand and my big suitcase on its way, I headed to the manual check-in counters behind the machines to try my luck. There was no line and I went straight to a friendly agent who checked the seat map and found a whole row available. I soon left with my window seat in the forward Economy cabin just behind the wing. I was ecstatic.

The security line was short with the screens showing a 5 minute wait only. However, the trays seemed to have piled up on the other side of the scanner, so I waited quite a while for the belt to move. I had plenty of time at this point, so I didn't fuss. I also luckily didn't need to go through the hands-up big scanner this time as well.

Shops sold the typical fare - chocolates and such, but I noticed a few uniquely British items such as shortbread and the ultra-sweet mince pies.

To get to my gate, I had to take the underground train 2 stops to the end.

The C-pier was much quieter with many gates of empty seats. I noted a number of A380s parked here. Seems BA has recalled their entire fleet back to action as life returns to normal. The downside of spotting at Terminal 5 is that it is a uniform sea of BA everywhere, and getting right to the window is elusive as many sections of gates were blocked off. Nevertheless, I was quite happy to spot so many A380s even from a distance.

BA's boarding procedure has 9 zones, which seemed quite a lot. Boarding was a bit late although we settled long before the departure time. I saw 2 more board after a long pause, and the cockpit announcement came later on why we were being delayed. There was some cargo still being loaded. After a 2nd announcement, we eventually pushed back at 12:20pm, over half hour behind.

Despite the delay, I was relaxed and felt quite comfortable in my row. The legroom was decent and I stretched out anticipating an easy transatlantic crossing.

While I was delighted to have an entire row to myself, my view was partially blocked by the wing, and there was also a missing window. I needed to crunch forward to see out. First World problems of course - I wouldn't have traded it for something else further back. This was despite my seat not being able to recline since there was a lavatory wall right behind me.

A blanket and headphones were already set at every seat.

We taxied for about 20 minutes to the other end of the airport. By now, the sun started to disappear as the typically unpredictable British winter weather rolled in.

We took off towards the west and veered north. Just beyond the runway are a few hotels with amazing views of the airport's activity.

The crew initially served pretzels and a drink, followed by a number of special meals. The A350 is quite a nice new plane. I didn't feel dehydrated and the large windows were clean. I looked forward to 7 hours of comfort until another passenger popped into the aisle seat.

The skies cleared a little as we left Scotland's coast behind.

I browsed the wifi capabilities to find prices are fairly reasonable. If just messaging, the flight pass is less than 5 pounds for the entire flight, although I wished they allowed using avios to pay for it. However, you don't need to pay to get the flight's technical information.

Lunch was served and I chose the Hunter chicken, which was quite delicious with a good amount of tomato sauce. It came with some beans and diced potatoes, along with a quinoa salad and a very sweet apple blackberry crumble. Coffee and tea were served after the meal.

Unfortunately, the skies were not so clear and we flew quite some distance south of Greenland, so I couldn't spot the landmass. We were luckier as we approached the Canadian coast and I could see a wintry landscape below. There was snow everywhere, which looked quite good set against the mountains and lakes.

Browsing the IFE, the selection is decent although is no match to the likes of Emirates. I was surprised there was no playlist to add items to, although it was possible to play the entire set of episodes. There were also a few Asian language shows on the product shelf as well.

The transatlantic crossing was uneventful and we eventually climbed up to 40,000 feet. We made entry to Canada over Labrador with about 2.5 hours to go. Crossing the Atlantic seemed far quicker than crossing the Pacific.

A snack was served 1h20 before arrival as we were flying over the Saguenay region of Quebec. The amount of food overall is sufficient for a 7 hour flight, which is a bit too short for 2 full meals.

High clouds emerged as we neared Toronto.

The cockpit announcement noted "murky" weather in Toronto today, and it was completely white outside the window until just before touch-down. There were no views of the city at all.

We touched down at 3:01pm and reached the gate 10 minutes later.

Terminal 3 is a bit of a hit or a miss, and with a few foreign carriers parked, I was worried it wouldn't be a pleasant arrival experience.

It was a long walk to immigration from the gate. A group of folks snaked out from the first set of immigration kiosks and there was a staff on hand to keep us going as there are more machines further ahead. I had provided my customs declaration ahead of time using the ArriveCan website, which was previously used for COVID documentation.

The main immigration hall was very busy with lots of machines and staff to encourage people to keep moving along the lines. However, the entire arrangement was confusing and screamed inefficiency. There are so many machines that it was impossible to tell at the end of the line whether there was anything available. Many of us continued straight ahead into the mess of machines to find people were occupying them even when it flashed green, holding us up. After the machine spat out an error page, which didn't make sense given I got an ArriveCan confirmation email from my pre-departure declaration, staff gave me a paper form to fill it out manually. But there was no exit at the end of the kiosks. People are expected to head backwards towards the oncoming march of arriving passengers and head across to the other side of the room to find the line to meet an immigration officer.

Pearson is not known for a good passenger experience even before the pandemic, but this arrangement, despite having a number of staff on hand, highlighted pure idiocy. Everyone should be moving in one direction only, and not backtrack to confuse themselves and others.

Luckily, it took only about 40 minutes to enter the country. My luggage didn't take long to come out although I was mentally prepared to not leave with it. There were stacks of other bags piled up across the baggage area.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/ba93.htm

評分

參與人數 3aPower +12 HugeC +30 收起 理由
yuenpo + 2 + 10 多謝分享
S3BL100 + 5 + 10 多謝分享
DIH + 5 + 10 多謝分享

查看全部評分

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 會員申請加入

本版積分規則

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement