hkitalk.net 香港交通資訊網

找回密碼
 會員申請加入

(B0)香港巴士車務及車廂設備 (B1)香港巴士廣告消息/廣告車行踪 (B2)香港巴士討論 [熱門] [精華] (B3)巴士攝影作品貼圖區 [熱門] [精華] (B3i)即拍即貼 -手機相&翻拍Mon相 (B4)兩岸三地巴士討論 [精華] (B5)外地巴士討論 [精華]

Advertisement

(B6)旅遊巴士及過境巴士 [精華] (B7)巴士特別所見 (B11)巴士精華區 (B22)巴士迷吹水區   (V)私家車,商用車,政府及特種車輛 [精華]
(A6)相片及短片分享/攝影技術 (A10)香港地方討論 [精華] (A11)消費著數及飲食資訊 (A16)建築物機電裝置及設備 (A19)問路專區 (N)其他討論題目  
(F1)交通路線建議 (C2)航空 [精華] (C3)海上交通及船隻 [精華] (D1)公共交通有關商品 [精華]   (Y)hkitalk.net會員福利部 (Z)站務資源中心
(R1)香港鐵路 [精華] (R2)香港電車 [精華] (R3)港外鐵路 [精華]   (O1)omsi討論區 (O2)omsi下載區 (O3)omsi教學及求助區
(M1)小型巴士綜合討論 (M2)小型巴士多媒體分享區 (M3)香港小型巴士字軌表        

Advertisement

hkitalk.net 香港交通資訊網»論壇 (A) Life 生活討論區 其他討論題目 (N) Sun News: 港人英語能力急跌
開啟左側

Sun News: 港人英語能力急跌

[複製鏈接]
winston 發表於 2005-5-19 15:13 | 顯示全部樓層

Advertisement

I think listen to English songs is not efficient, we should read more English newspapers, watch English TV programs, films with English substitutes on DVD etc.

If you have a chance to take IELTS exams, you should know better what is your English level.
S3BL100 發表於 2005-5-19 16:51 | 顯示全部樓層
It's true that many of us aren't paying much effort to study the language,
but bear in mind, many of the non-native English teachers are indeed very
poor in English - actually, as a semi-native speaker of English, I understand
and have seen that many of these English teachers (including those who
work in secondary schools) speak even much worse than I do. It is a gift
for me to be able to study in a top school here, but how about those who are
not as fortunate? What kind of English will they hear and read daily?

I know that many of our present-day English teachers (including many
oral invigilators) have merely got a grade C or D in their HKCEE English. One may
argue that only one-tenth of those who take HKCEE English syl.B may get
a C or above, but I assure you that MANY WHO ARE GETTING AN A AT
PRESENT DON'T DESERVE IT!

But the main problem is: few are willing to teach English or study English at university level.
D in their HKCEEs
Wright---AVW16 發表於 2005-5-22 10:51 | 顯示全部樓層
有冇板友可將所有回應用中文翻譯?
238X 發表於 2005-5-22 11:18 | 顯示全部樓層

Advertisement

[ref=236602]S3BL100[/ref]  在 2005-5-19 04:51 PM 發表:

I know that many of our present-day English teachers (including many
oral invigilators) have merely got a grade C or D in their HKCEE English. One may
argue that only one-tenth of those who take HKCEE English syl.B may get
a C or above, but I assure you that MANY WHO ARE GETTING AN A AT
PRESENT DON'T DESERVE IT!

Give your examples!!  As far as I concern, all my classmates getting A in HKCEE English are very professional users.  The same applies to my elder sister.

It's just me who got a messy C.

[ref=236602]S3BL100[/ref]  在 2005-5-19 04:51 PM 發表:

But the main problem is: few are willing to teach English or study English at university level.
D in their HKCEEs

As far as I know, some Universities might force their students to study English by including English courses in the major studying programmes.  CUHK is partially the case, at least all Engineering students must take a 3-credit English course.
推文或跟推文者帖,一律舉報,不作通知
joeli16 發表於 2005-5-22 14:40 | 顯示全部樓層
[ref=239781]Wright---AVW16[/ref]  在 2005-5-22 10:51 AM 發表:

有冇板友可將所有回應用中文翻譯?

Go get a dictionary and find it youself.
The replies are just basic grammar.#:-/

This may be a reason why students in Hong Kong have poor skills for using English.
They are always not willing to try anything themselves,
and just ask somebody for help...
NV58 發表於 2005-5-22 20:22 | 顯示全部樓層
[ref=239985]joeli16[/ref]  在 2005-5-22 06:40 發表:

Go get a dictionary and find it youself.
The replies are just basic grammar.#:-/

This may be a reason why students in Hong Kong have poor skills for using English.
They are always not willin ...

Good one, Joe. You really hit the nail right on the head with this reply...!

If they don't get their hands dirty and try their hardest themselves, there
is no way the standard of english of anyone could improve. I really cannot
agree more on what you say.
Tinyl Bus Photography - FB Group
S3BL100 發表於 2005-5-23 21:26 | 顯示全部樓層

Advertisement

[ref=239818]238X[/ref]  在 2005-5-22 11:18 AM 發表:

Give your examples!!  As far as I concern, all my classmates getting A in HKCEE English are very professional users.  The same applies to my elder sister.

It's just me who got a messy C.

Well, just take a look at this year's English (syl.B) papers, they are simply naive; I'd say the papers are of a mere Form 1 or 2 standard. Being careful enough not to make any mistakes is sufficient for anyone to get an A.

Usually, at least half of my schoolmates can get an A in HKCEE English, but apart from some 20 or 30 of them who are native or near-native speakers, others are not really proficient in speaking; some confuse "n" and "l" sounds while others simply lack fluency. Some even make simple grammatical mistakes in their writing quite often.

[ref=239818]238X[/ref]  在 2005-5-22 11:18 AM 發表:
As far as I know, some Universities might force their students to study English by including English courses in the major studying programmes.  CUHK is partially the case, at least all Engineering students must take a 3-credit English course.

I'd like to clarify myself: what I meant is that many are not willing to major in English.

P.S. My English teacher, who is a Singaporean, is a friend of the Chief Examiner of HKCEE English Oral. According to the Examiner, many of our current Oral invigilators are rather poor in the language (as what I've said), but the HKEAA simplay can't stop them from becoming invigilators, so that is why we who are just "too good at English" are advised not to use difficult words during the Oral exam, or we may risk the jealousy of our invigilators.
DIH 發表於 2005-5-23 21:45 | 顯示全部樓層
The Science Faculty of CUHK also requires undergrads to take ELT(English Language Teaching) courses,
with the choice of course depending on the student's HKASL UE results,
e.g. D and below should take some fundamental courses,
while C and above can take some more "interesting" courses.
One can continue to take ELT courses as electives after they have met the requirement.

However, the use of English declines after one has entered university.
They tend to use Cantonese in daily conversations, write Chinese notes,
and they also ask questions in Chinese...really CU.

The rising spirit of "local belonging" after 1997 is also one of the reasons for the decline, I think.
238X 發表於 2005-5-23 22:18 | 顯示全部樓層
[ref=241720]S3BL100[/ref]  在 2005-5-23 09:26 PM 發表:

Well, just take a look at this year's English (syl.B) papers, they are simply naive; I'd say the papers are of a mere Form 1 or 2 standard. Being careful enough not to make any mistakes is sufficient for anyone to get an A.

I didn't read them.  Can you give some examples?

As far as I know, even the paper of 2000 is naive.  But this is not a sufficient proof.  General Mathematics papers can be very naive too, but you need to get extremely high mark to earn an A.  I don't know what score does a student need to get for an A in English (Syl. B), so I can't come to any conclusion.  Do you?

Usually, at least half of my schoolmates can get an A in HKCEE English, but apart from some 20 or 30 of them who are native or near-native speakers, others are not really proficient in speaking; some confuse "n" and "l" sounds while others simply lack fluency. Some even make simple grammatical mistakes in their writing quite often.

For speaking, somebody just cannot speak fluently in any language, even in their mother tongue.  I am one of those people.  Say, can you justify that I'm not good at my mother tongue -- Cantonese?

For writing, native English users also make simple grammatical mistakes.  Actually, simple mistakes are easier to make, since people tend to be more aware of tough things.  Moreover, It's a matter of personaility of not proofreading their work, not the matter of ability.

To close, sometimes I am very annoyed with your standards and (moral) requirements.  We are ordinary people, not Gods.  To me, not only you act like God, sometimes I think you demand everybody to act like God as much as you do.  OK, I am taking it personal, but you have to know that your manner WILL make, or even HAVE made people frustrated.  Please loosen up a bit!!

I'd like to clarify myself: what I meant is that many are not willing to major in English.

But it's also true that many are not willing to major in Chinese.

P.S. My English teacher, who is a Singaporean, is a friend of the Chief Examiner of HKCEE English Oral. According to the Examiner, many of our current Oral invigilators are rather poor in the language (as what I've said), but the HKEAA simplay can't stop them from becoming invigilators, so that is why we who are just "too good at English" are advised not to use difficult words during the Oral exam, or we may risk the jealousy of our invigilators.

Please bear in mind that, Oral exams are not for the ability of using difficult words.  I WILL deduct your mark too if you use difficult words, even though I am at least 80% confident that I can understand at least 80% of your difficult words.

[ Last edited by 238X on 2005-5-23 at 22:26 ]
推文或跟推文者帖,一律舉報,不作通知
S3BL100 發表於 2005-5-25 17:08 | 顯示全部樓層

Advertisement

[ref=241835]238X[/ref]  在 2005-5-23 10:18 PM 發表:

I didn't read them.  Can you give some examples?

As far as I know, even the paper of 2000 is naive.  But this is not a sufficient proof.  General Mathematics papers can be very naive too, bu ...

Well, this year's Paper II is like this:

2 comprehension passages
MC cloze
matching
proof reading: unlike the previous papers, one is only required to add missing words into a passage using words from a box provided. One does not need to cross out or change any words.
cloze: it's terrible; the question setter provides us with the first few letters of the word to be filled in, e.g. incl____, and one will immediately know that the letters"uding" should be put in.

So who is supposed to consider this paper difficult? Bear in mind, one does not need to work on opposites either.

It is true that many are not willing to major in Chinese, but those who major in Chinese have at least some knowledge about Chinese culture. As for those who major in English, many didn't even show much improvement in the language after the 3-year programme. How, then, can such teachers who are poor in English teach our fellow students the correct uses of language?

I know a 7-year-old child who is studying at a primary school in Kowloon East. What his English teacher teaches him is full of nonsense and wrong grammar. For if the foundation of knowledge in English language of the child is laid on tonnes of misconception, how can he learn the language well (I do not mean master it) when he furthers his studies?
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 會員申請加入

本版積分規則

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

站規|清理本站Cookies|hkitalk.net 香港交通資訊網

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 16:29